![]() |
| Image from "Sita Sings the Blues"(2008 DVD) |
Excuse me?!!! Rama, what did you just say? What is this honor you speak of that says you split from your beloved wife because she was held captive from you? I know that you have got to be kidding right now! That doesn’t even make sense. If I had stayed in the Kingdom while you were in exile, would you have renounced me when you returned since we had been ‘away’ from each other for so long?
Why in the world do you speak to me like this in front of this audience? Why have Hanuman parade me here the way you did instead of telling me something like this in private? You are being rude, mean, and quite embarrassing. How dare you question whether or not I have been faithful to you! I have done nothing of the sort. Maybe you’ve been with women previously that have been unfaithful, but that is your own insecurity, not a trust issue you should be taking out on me.
When Ravana carried me away, he did not have my permission. I did not call his name. To think you were worried I enjoyed his lustful gazes and sitting on his lap is absolutely ridiculous. Did you even look at the Demon Ravana you laid to waste? He was a monstrosity, instilling disgust and fright. Must you think I have no standards?
I have always shown you my devotion and your importance to me. When you were exiled I begged to go with you for I could not bear to be away from you. I traveled with you in the jungle as far as you would allow me until that fateful day when the evil Ravana stole me away.
You do not know what it has been like for me. You have been fighting a war out there, while I have been living in Lanka, the land of the Rakshasas. They have threatened me with my own death. They have shown me your own death. I have been worried sick for your safety this entire time and when I finally get to see your handsome face, the accusatory look in your eyes burns a hole through my heart and you stab me with your words.
If you were so worried about this, you shouldn’t have gone to all the trouble. You could’ve avoided putting your friend's lives in danger and even saved those of whom you lost. Why would they want to help rescue your wife if you were just going to question her loyalty anyway?
I am thankful for Sugriva, Vibhishana, and Lakshmana who helped conquer Ravana, and to Bharata for ruling while you’ve been exiled; but to think that I must live with one of them instead is absurd, for I love you. Instead I would rather burn alive to prove that I am right. You will see that Agni will show you I am free of sin, and stayed true to you in body and soul.
Please dear Laks, build a fire for I must prove my worth.
Bibliography:
Image Bibliography:
Author's Note:
This is a retelling of Sita’s conversation after Rama first renounces her in front of the Kingdom of Lanka. Originally I was going to go with more of the reaction I had in my head when reading the verses, but decided my snarky attitude would not be very becoming of the purpose of the Ramayana. My Sita is not such a pushover, but still virtuous in my opinion.
Also, the Image Bibliography link is to a blogging Hindi movie enthusiast. I was able to get the image I wanted but also read a cool review of the DVD. Follow the link if you have time.

I really liked reading this story!! It was very creative of you to think of focusing on one specific part of the story. I also like that you made Sita a strong woman. I did the same thing in my story this week- I thought it was unfair that she was treated like that by Rama. I had a similar reaction when I read this part of the story because I thought it was so crazy that Rama was not going to take her back after rescuing her, and after she fought so hard to honor him. Great story- keep up the good work!!
ReplyDeleteI like this! It is interesting that you write this in a first person point of view because it makes things a bit more "personal." I love Sita's attitude here. Justice for Sita! I didn't really like the ending in the original Ramayana either, especially the way Rama treats her. Therefore, this story is like a plot for Sita to vent out her anger! I also glad that she is thankful toward Rama's friends and isn't mad at them like she did with Rama. Good job in writing this!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this! I like how it is in a first person narrative it is different than a lot of other stories. Your description of emotion with the characters is very good and really places a good image in the readers head. I think the part about Rama rejecting Sita caught everyone by surprise and you captured the reactions very well.
ReplyDeleteI think I agree with the consensus. This was a unique approach to the story. I like that we are seeing a perspective that at least most us would believe must have been running through sita's mind at the time Rama started to accuse her of fooling around or at least being violated. The truth that she was both the victim of her captures and a victim of false accusation from the one she loved the most. She was hurt badly enough to do something rash, like ask to be pulled into the heart of the earth. The wow factor comes from the angle that Sita is both telling her story and that she seems to be stronger than normal.
ReplyDeleteHi Amber! Great job on this story, I really enjoyed it. I like how you made it more relatable, and also made Sita a strong figure, more than she was in the original. I know at least when I was reading, I really liked Rama and Sita's characters, but the whole time was thinking 'Cmon girlfriend! Show him who's boss!' This take on the story was creative and you did a great job! :)
ReplyDeleteHi Amber!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your story! My favorite part was how you included Rama being insecure. I can see something of this sort happening in our world till this day from being insecure. I also liked that Sita stands up for herself in your story. She doesn’t lower her self-respect by standing up for herself. I loved your twist to the original story!