I will be reading the PDE version of the Ramayana because I like the option of listening to it also. I read a sample of the Kindle version of the book and did not care for its’ style too much either. This will be my first experience with a public domain edition book so I am excited to experience it. I also like the thought of different authors and writing styles.
I have not taken an epic literature class before and it has been many years since high school so I do not remember what required readings we had that might have fit into the “epic” definition. I greatly desire to go to China and have always been fascinated with their beliefs, traditions, and culture. Since this course does explore epic literature that is tied to the beliefs in India I thought it would be interesting and fun to explore. Although I have not researched India much, in general, I do hold some beliefs that are more towards Eastern religion that is also practiced in India.
My mom taught me about karma, to be kind to all creatures, and why she believed in reincarnation. When I was a teen I had a book in which there was a symbol which I would draw on everything, but I couldn’t explain why. It looked like a backwards cursive ‘E’ that was really fancy and I liked it. I cannot even remember what the book was about, but I do know that it would not have been educational at the age of 16. So, years later I researched the symbol, and found what it was and what it meant. At the time I went looking for the meaning of this “fancy, backwards E” I was in a weird place in my life, not happy with my mundane job, not in college, and older than 25. When I found the symbol and its’ meaning, it felt right, so I decided to add it to my other skin décor, a.k.a. tattoos. You can read some information about the “AUM” or more easily pronounced and pictured as “OHM” HERE.
Also, I always carry my broken jade Quan Yin keychain with me. The reason I carry a keychain that is broken is because some years ago, I was in a one vehicle accident in the early morning hours and the damage was fierce. I totaled my jeep due to an ignorant decision, but was able to exit out of my sunroof with minor injuries. I believe that this symbol of the Goddess of Mercy protected me, so I always keep her close. Here are a couple sites to explain some info about Quan Yin.
![]() |
| Image via Twitter Durga as Slayer of the Buffalo Demon Mahishasura 14th–15th century Medium: Gilt copper alloy, inlaid with semiprecious stones @metmuseum |
As far as from the Images site, I believe the one I am including may be cheating a bit as it was in the sidebar. So I will include two. The right is an image of Durga as the Slayer of Buffalo Demon, but it was linked via Twitter from @metmuseum. The reason I liked this is because some depictions of Quan Yin have her with a thousand arms, so this made me think of her.
![]() |
| Image via Wikimedia Painting of Draupadi and Sudheshna by Raja Ravi Varma |
However, to pull an image directly from the image site, I chose the one to the left since it made me think of a woman giving another woman advice after an amygdala hijack, “well, dear…you probably could have been a little bit sweeter during that situation. Now you may have to watch out for any repercussions from Kichaka.”


No comments:
Post a Comment