Going through my profile I have tried to limit my information as much as possible. I am not in a witness protection program nor am I paranoid, just private. I would like for this class to allow me to be expressive, but with some anonymity.
This is because I know that prospective employers research your online presence, not only because of my Information Studies classes but also because my best friend is a senior HR manager for a global oil manufacturing company. I have been told that they use Facebook, Linked In, and whatever else they might need to if investigating a prospective or current employee.
I chose to remove the about me section and my name from my posts. I have not changed the name is posting as because according to what I read when I started to make the change; it will change everything Google related. However, if someone knows otherwise, please let me know.
Exactly: the way you have the name list or not listed is purely about this blog. You might have another blog that you are using not for creative stuff but for purely professional purposes, and you could configure that blog in a different way: featuring your profile, including your name on each post, etc. I really like the way that works: you can create different blogs for different purposes, and each of them can be configured in just the right away for that purpose. I am glad that worked out!
ReplyDeleteI think that this option to remove personal details is smart. I completely understand! When certain people post risky information or pictures I always think about potential and future employers. I think it is pretty well known today that they check social media. I think that more people should do what you are doing and be more careful with what they put out onto the internet!
ReplyDelete