I am from everywhere, but mainly Springfield, Missouri. I moved to the Tulsa area in 2011 due to a change in my husband's job and just returned to college last summer. So, I have been working on my Bachelor's off and on for the last 18 years. Over that timeframe, I have been married for 16 years, had two children, earned an Associate's degree, and most recently left a career as a trainer at Capital One Auto Finance to finish my degree before my son graduates from high school.
My son just got his official intermediate driver's license this week and this morning was the first day he drove by himself. As a mom, I am nervous, but he sent me a text when he arrived at school safely. Secretly I wanted to follow him or set up a secret camera in the backseat to make sure he wasn't on his phone. I trust that he isn't though because he is pretty stern with me when he sees that I am distracted while driving.
![]() |
| (Personal photo of Hermione on Christmas) |
![]() |
| Personal photo of my dogs January 2017 |
I am an avid book reader but haven't been since I returned to college last summer. I look forward to a summer without a class so that I can have time to read again. The last movie I watched was Underworld: Blood Wars and I loved it! I enjoy cooking, but I hate deciding what to cook. Oh, I hate grocery shopping too. I really need to start ordering my groceries online and choosing the store pick-up option, I just haven't tried it yet.
My biggest accomplishment last semester is that I got a 4.0. I took an 8-week block class at the beginning of the semester and a 4-week intersession class during Christmas break, both of which were pretty paper writing intensive. The best class was my data mining class. I was extremely stressed about taking it because I was unfamiliar with the information and coding, but it was fun and I really enjoyed the professor. I also enjoyed my intersession class, Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace. If you ever have a "freak out" moment when you look back and think, "well, I really could have handled that better," that is because your amygdala was hijacked. If you can, try to take HR 4170, Emotional Intelligence. You will learn a lot about how honing in your emotions can help you and those around you, especially in your career.


Amber,
ReplyDeleteI take my hat off for you- being a wife, mother and student is hard work and I know, because I am in the same boat. I just had a baby in December. Reading your post makes me look forward to when my son will be all grown up; stressing about him driving and wondering if everything is okay. People often tell me that boys are the best and that I will have my hands full, hahaha! I'm proud of you for not giving up on your degree, because it is tough to keep up with all of the other demands of being a mother, etc
:)
Very cool that your daughter's name is Hermione! I haven't seen anybody name their child that before. I admire you for being able to balance school and raising children. I'm not sure I would have the stamina to do that haha. And your dogs are the cutest! I've always wanted a Siberian husky. Hopefully one day I will be able to have one.
ReplyDeleteOh, look at that python, Amber: that is amazing! Wow! Maybe this menagerie of furred and un-furred creatures can figure as characters in your stories somehow this semester (there are some SERIOUS snakes called Nagas in the Indian epic world!). And that "emotional intelligence" class sounds wonderful: as you can guess, there is a lot of overlap between growth mindset and emotional intelligence and all the powerful stuff we are learning about the brain!
ReplyDeleteQuick note about the blog: you'll want to add the label "Introduction" to this post so that it will show up in your blog navigation in the sidebar. People will be coming back to this post every week all semester, and if you add the label "Introduction" that will make it easy for them to find no matter where they are starting from at your blog. :-)
Amber, that is so great that you're getting ready to finish up your degree. I know that can’t be easy to do while also juggling two kids, a python and dogs. I also think it is so cool that your daughter is considering wanting to be an engineer! That’s what I am studying and there are very few girls in the mix. Also congratulations on your 4.0, that is so exciting!
ReplyDeleteAmber, wow! That is some serious commitment to finishing your schooling. I think it is wonderful when people come back. My mom went to college for the first time when I was 10 and got her associates for occupational therapy assistant and I think she'd agree it was the best decision she'd ever made! OMG, I LOVE huskies! I want one really bad when I finally move out! Keep working hard! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHi Amber,
ReplyDeleteI think that it is so awesome that you are working towards your bachelor degree! It shows so much commitment and I am very impressed! Also, it is awesome that you got a 4.0 last semester! I have been striving towards this and hopefully I will be able to achieve that this semester! Your dogs are so cute! Huskies seem like such sweet dogs. I love that you say that you always need fur in your house! I always had animals growing up because my mom said that too! Thanks for sharing!
Hi Amber! Nice to meet you! I’ll just start off by saying that what you’re doing by balancing motherhood with earning a college degree is absolutely amazing. I don’t know if I could manage that kind of responsibility, and it seems like you’re doing a fantastic job of it which is incredibly impressive! It’s clear that you care about your kids a lot and take care to make sure they’re doing well! I hope you enjoy this class and this semester!
ReplyDeleteAmber,
ReplyDeleteIt is really nice to meet you. I can not tell you how inspiring it is to read about you and see that among all of the things you have going on in your life you still find time to finish up your degree. My mother did the same thing. She was a mom and a student at the same time. It is very impressive and I am glad I got to meet you.
Nice to meet you Amber!! I love the pictures of all the pets you included- though I don't think I could sleep well at night with a snake in my house! It is so great that you are keeping up with school. I think intercession classes are the best! They can be a little intense at times, but it is SUCH a relief after you finish and you get those credit hours!
ReplyDeleteHello Amber, I just want to say that your huskies are adorable! I have a poodle as well, but because I am going to school, so I can't bring him along with me. The python your daughter has looks really cool as well! It is amazing that you are being a mother while attending school, and being able to achieve a 4.0 at that, is awesome! It is really nice to read through your introduction as well as meeting you.
ReplyDeleteHey Amber! I cannot even imagine balancing everything you have going on. My 6 roomates and I couldn't even take care of a dog for two weeks. The fact that your daughter's name is Hermione is awesome! I love huskies, I want to have one when I am done with college in a couple years. Great job on the 4.0 too!
ReplyDeleteHello Amber,
ReplyDeleteI am in a very similar place in my life to you. I too have been working toward my degree for what seems like a very long time, I am about to graduate and I can say it was worth every moment. I hope you are having an equally enjoyable experience. I am really wishing I could have taken that emotional Intelligence class. I know that things go south rather quickly when emotions get in the way. Good luck to you for finishing up.
Hi Amber! Wow it's so amazing that you are as busy as you are and you are still dedicated to going to school. You're a 'super mom' for sure! Your children seem great, and your dogs are adorable! Also, congrats on that 4.0! I don't know you at all, but I am proud of you for being so motivated and determined in all areas of your life! By the way... I do the online order grocery pick up, and it is a LIFE SAVER! :) nice to meet you!
ReplyDeleteHello Amber! It great to see that you are coming back to school in order to get your bachelors degree. I am excited that you have that opportunity and that you are going to be able to finish before your son graduates. I hope that you really enjoy finishing up. I found out last October that I never graduated, so I am back to graduate now, this is my last class. And if you havent started yet, the Online order from Walmart is well worth it.
ReplyDeleteI just want to say that you are such an amazing strong woman for never giving up on your dream of getting your bachelor's degree. It is amazing that you are able to do everything you are doing in life and go to school! Props to you! Also, my little brother is about to turn 16 in two months and the thought of him driving is so crazy! I know I am not a mom but I can definitely relate to what you were feeling. It was really nice getting to know you, and I look forward to reading your stories and learning more about you.
ReplyDeleteHi Amber!
ReplyDeleteIt’s nice to meet you. My problem with grocery shopping is that I get way too overwhelmed, and end up buying what I need, and other unnecessary items I don’t need. Something I want to do before, and after kids is try HelloFresh! I’ve heard good things, and they deliver all your groceries to your door. It’s also organic food, I believe. I’m a Human Relations minor, and hope to take Emotional Intelligence.
Hi Amber, it is nice to meet you! I love huskies, I had one as a child and they are my favorite breed of dog. I cannot even begin to imagine how busy you are as a student and a mom. I only work and go to school and I think I am busy. I wish you the best of luck and I hope this is as good a semester as the last one!
ReplyDeleteHello Amber!
ReplyDeleteLovely to meet you. I very much enjoyed reading your introduction. First of all, props to you for continuing to work hard for your degree. It took my father 16 years to get his bachelor's degree; every time I break down and want to drop out, he encourages me not to quit. I really admire your determination.
You named your daughter Hermione...mom-of-the-century award for you? :) I love it! I also chuckled at your use of the word "furkids." I have never heard that one before! It will definitely be making its way into my vocabulary.
I look forward to reading some of your writing. Keep up the great work, and hang in there. You're a super woman.
It's so nice to meet you. Thank you for sharing so much about your family and experience. It's so great that you have persevered through your 18 year journey of pursuing a Bachelor's degree. Most people would have given up the process at this point. Some students give up on this journey after two years, so I give extra kudo points to you. Congratulations to your son on getting his driver's license. I remember receiving my driver's license and feeling so old. I was more anxious about driving by myself more than anything. Initially, it was a really weird feeling at the age of sixteen.
ReplyDeleteHi Amber! It was nice to learn a little bit about you, your family, and your Huskies! Your determination to achieve your bachelor's degree is really admirable. You deserve serious gold stars for that! I agree with you that reading for pleasure is tough during college but I hope that you'll be able to pick up a book soon! I'm excited to read some of your stories!
ReplyDeleteHello Amber. Happy to see that you made it back to college and are enjoying it! This is one of the most interesting introduction posts and partly it is because you actually have your life somewhat figured out. I am jealous at the other students who have kids because it must be easy making them a character in their stories. As for me I'll stick with pokemon and tv characters to star in my stories!
ReplyDeleteThat is incredible that you are a mother, wife, and student all at once! I can barely be just a student and get by. :P Congratulations to your son for getting his license (even though this was from back in January). I remember when I got my license I was so excited! I hope you have a great rest of the semester!
ReplyDeleteHi Amber!
ReplyDeleteNice to meet you! It was nice to learn more about you, your family, and your goals! I admire that you are a wife, a mother, and a student. It must be a lot to handle, but you clearly are working so hard towards everything. The class you mentioned does sound very interesting! I only have 14 credit hours left to take in the span of my senior year, so I'll definitely be looking for classes to reach full time. I'll see if that's a class I can take without being an HR major or minor. Thanks for sharing!
Hello Amber it’s nice to meet you! Can I just say you are awesome! Going to school on and off while raising a family, I cannot imagine that was easy for you. Your kids sound like good kids. I’m sure they’ll go off to do amazing things! If you like to read I bet you really enjoyed this class! That HR class sounds so interesting! Thanks for sharing and I hope you had a good semester!
ReplyDelete